Saturday, 22 June 2013

Sacrament Talk by Trent 19.07.2009

While looking through some old computer files searching for some photos, I came across this lovely Sacrament Talk that Trent gave back in 2009, while he was serving as the Second Counsellor in the Young Men's Presidency in Joondalup Ward. I thought it was worth keeping record of on our Blog for our family to read:


19.07.2009

It’s been a long time since I’ve been asked to speak in sacrament.  The last time I was a Priest in Young Men’s.  That’s about 15 years ago.  I think to last that long I’ve been blessed.  I try my best to lay low and go un-noticed at church. Unfortunately my best efforts weren’t good enough to escape Brother Going’s radar.  However I do acknowledge his mercy in asking me to speak for only a few minutes this morning.

A BETTER WAY OF LIFE.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints I find it interesting the things that we as members sometimes take for granted.

Years ago back when my brother and I were still living at home in Melbourne.  I had a non-member girlfriend named Tennile.  I’d been dating this girl for a year or so.  We met in my last year of high school.  She was a really nice girl, in fact my whole family loved her, like most the girls I dated my family seemed to prefer her over me.  Don’t even get me started on how protective they are of Darnae and ensuring that she is well looked after …

When I say everyone in my family loved Tennile, that is everyone except for my little brother Clinton.   To Clint, Tennile seemed to be at our house ALL the time.  He often whined about it to me, with his main argument being that he had to wear pants when she was around, and he liked to watch tv wearing just his boxers.

Before long Clint had had enough and he snapped.  He Confronted Tennile by asking “why are you always here?  You’re even here when Trent isn’t. In fact he’s at work for another 4 hours! Don’t you have your own home to hang out in?”  

Quietly rather embarrassed Tennile replied, “Clint you probably don’t notice it, I doubt you have known anything else.  But there is a feeling in this home that I love.  It’s warm and peaceful and I feel it as soon as I walk in the door.  I feel it when I’m around your parents, brother and sisters. I even feel it when I’m around you, Clint.  I guess I don’t get this feeling anywhere else in my life” 

It was only recently that  Clint told me this story.  He said that at that exact moment he realized that he had been blessed with a special way of life.  A life that centered around families, love and the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He realized that the feeling Tennile was talking about was the Holy Spirit. The same spirit that we strive to keep as a constant companion in our lives and homes.  For days Clint found himself pondering about our way of life and how it compares to the lives of his friends at school.  As an Aaronic priesthood holder at the time it strengthened Clinton’s testimony and made him want to live worthily, so that he could influence those around him as he had seen how our family had influenced Tennile.  I guess back then our way of life, was somewhat different to Tennile’s,  even though it was merely what we had been taught at home. 

It makes me think of Nephi. Nephi, that was born of goodly parents.  Nephi, whose parents taught him in their ways.  As parents and leaders we place a lot of emphasis on the “For strength of youth” booklets.  For those of you not familiar with the “For the Strngth of Youth Program”.  It derives from a small booklet and covers the standards by which Latter-Day Saint youth are expected to practice.  It’s a fantastic tool and I wish we had it when I was in youth.  Often my friends were uncertain to what Mormon standards involve.  How easy is it would have been to throw them a copy, which would hopefully lead to more questions about our way of life and the gospel. 

As Deacons advisor I’m constantly impressed with the Deacons of this ward.  You only have to look at them on a Sunday passing the sacrament.  Clean cut, in suits and holders of the Aaronic Priesthood they set a bench mark for all our primary children moving up into youth.  In fact, to look at the only difference between them and a missionary is a few years of life experience and a name badge. 

I look forward to the day when they are all serving in the mission field.  Of course I try to the best of my ability to fulfill my calling in Young men’s. However I fear that my skills as a teacher are less than average.  So I’m grateful to the parents of these young men who teach them and guide them as they grow.

The first presidency frequently emphasizes the importance of weekly family home evening, which may include instruction in the gospel principals, love and harmony and other family activities.  On the subject of family home evening  Spencer W Kimbal said “We ask that parents and leaders give this theme powerful emphasis, for closeness to our Father in heaven and constant spirituality in our lives is our greatest need as individuals and as a people. A true latter day saint home is a haven against the storms and struggles of life.  Spirituality is born and nurtured by daily prayer, scripture study, home gospel discussions and related activities, home evenings, family councils, working and playing together, serving each other, and sharing the gospel with those around us.  Spirituality is also nurtured in our actions of patience, kindness and forgiveness toward each other and in our applying gospel principals in the family circle.  Home is where we become experts and scholars in gospel righteousness, learning and living gospel truths together..”

The world is changing I fear for the children Darnae and I are yet to have.  But there is safety in the knowledge that they can be raised in the gospel.

If we follow the program of the church for our homes, prayerfully and conscientiously apply these practices in our home life, the prophets have promised that great blessings will come.

I’d like to close with my testimony… Oh if you were wondering what became of Tennille - She had the discussions, I baptized her,  we broke up a few years later, she married some guy in the temple and had a bunch of kids………..  I like to think that she found a better way of life through the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Brothers and Sisters I bear witness to you that the gospel of Jesus Christ is “A better way of life”   The plan of salvation or what we often call the plan of happiness is exactly that.  I’m grateful to be blessed with the gospel in my life.  I love our Savior and I know he lives as does or Heavenly Father.  I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.  I’m indeed grateful for our church leaders and our living prophet, President Monson.

I leave my testimony with you…………….

 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful talk! Trent really should be speaking more often in church or writing a book - he has a great writing style.

    ReplyDelete