Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Kalbarri - November 2011

Last November Darnae and I went to Kalbarri for the weekend. I was hoping to find my first Thorny Devil in the wild Unfortunately we did not have any luck finding one though. Despite the weather being quite cool we did manage to find a few animals.  Darnae was particularly excited to find her first wild echidna. I think she was quite surprised how much fun finding and photographing wildlife is. It's something I have enjoyed doing with my father growing up. Finding new species for the first time is exciting for me, especially things that I have only seen in field guides previously. I have fond memories of returning to camp with my father and flicking through the relevant field guides and pencilling in what we had seen as well as searching for names of birds and reptiles we had seen but were unfamiliar with. No doubt it was my fathers influence that has given me such an interest in our native flora and fauna.
T.

With flies everywhere, we wore fly nets on our heads most of the day!




Darnae looking out over the ocean.





Fossilised seabed

Some of the wild flowers were amazing. Splashed of bright colour amongst the sand and dry looking banksia's.


Tachyglossus aculeatus
Short-beaked Echidnas

Antaresia stimsoni
Stimson Python


Strophurus strophurus
Western Spiney-tailed Gecko
Strophurus strophurus
Western Spiney-tailed Gecko
Diplodactylus klugei


Diplodactylus klugei

Heleioporus albopunctatus
Western Spotted Frog
Heleioporus albopunctatus
Western Spotted Frog
Strophurus spinigerus
Soft Spiney-tailed Gecko
Strophurus spinigerus
Soft Spiney-tailed Gecko
Varanus Gouldi
Goulds Monitor


Varanus Gouldi
Goulds Monitor

No comments:

Post a Comment